In a previous blog, I spoke about de Huerquehue National Park that offers you some impressive extended views to the Tinquilca Lake, the frozen mountains lakes and the Andes.
I recommend to hikes during winter:
- The hike to the Lago Verde, way up to the lakes will take you approximately 3 hours. But before getting to that point, you will have some nice views to the Tinquilca Lake.
- The hike to la Pampa de Quichol that offers a impressive view to the Andes and Villarrica Volcano. The way up will take around 1h30.
Another hike that is really worthwhile is the hike to the Laguna Perdida (lost lagoon) y Laguna Huenfuica which is on the road to the International Road of the Mamuil Malal pass (Argentinian frontier). The road itself from Pucon (1h20) is really nice especially after the village of Curarrehue, drinking along the Trancura river and between steep mountains.
las Peinetas, Curarrehue
The hike starts just after Quilleihue lake where you can park your car on your left-hand side (hacia Argentina). The beginning of the path is just on the other side of the road on your right-hand side, indicated by a wooden panel. To see both lakes it's a 2h30 hike round-trip, quite easy hike on flat land. Those hikes don't obliged to wear rackets except if it has snowed a lot before. If you want to go further to the base of the Lanin volcano, rackets will be needed and you can add a 2h30 to your hike.
Perfect winter activity , hot springs are numerous but personally I would recommend only 3:
- Las termas de Pucon Indomito which are quite new and well maintained and managed. With an outside pool and a covered one and various hot tub. Aprox 32 km from Lake Lodge
- Las termas de Huife. Older but still well managed. Aprox 39 km from Lake Lodge.
- The famous Termas Geometricas. There are not as clean as the ones of Pucon Indomito (due to the sylvester environment also) but its location in that kind of a lost narrow valley, with indigenous vegetation, and the pools (in the number of 7 or 8) against the rock of the valley. Situated near Coñaripe. Aprox 1h40, 85 km from Lake Lodge
Pucon is not lacking of restaurants! Many are worthwhile but I cannot describe all of them (TripAdvisor is doing that job!). However I would advise 2 of them:
- El Castillo which located Camino al Volcan, 300 m after the entrance of the Villarrica National Park (10 km from the Lodge). Its warm atmosphere and dim light is perfect for winter, in addition it's perfectly situated if you spend the day enjoying the snowy slope of the volcano.
- La Olla, Km 4 approx. on the Segunda Faja (5 km from Lake Lodge). A restaurant well managed by its own owners, few tables, very good attention, elaborating and interesting cooking. Unfortunately during wintertime you won't be able to enjoy the elevated terrace between the trees but still the place is worthwhile.
Maybe the most original activity you would do during your stay in Pucon. Incredible experience on the Volcano slopes from one to 5 days. This activity is organized by Aurora Austral (in Villarrica) http://auroraaustral.com/winter/ We can make the reservation for you (2 months before date would be perfect!)
Better wait a sunny day for that activity proposed by the very profesional Mathias, Alejandra and their team of ANTILCO. Many options from 3-hour ride to several days . http://www.antilco.com
I think that you have many options to enjoy your stay in the area. You can also have a look on the previous blog for a nice road trip from Lake Lodge.